Mandatory and statutory training
King’s mandatory and statutory training programme ensures the safety and well-being of all our staff and patients; it also helps you to keep up to date with professional standards.
To take advantage of training, education and continuous development (CPD) opportunities at the Trust, you must be able to demonstrate that you have complied with your mandatory and statutory training requirements.
Mandatory training starts on day one at King’s with your Corporate Induction. It consists of a series of short sessions supplemented with face-to-face training and e-learning. It includes:
- an introduction to the Trust’s values
- training in personal health, safety and wellbeing
- training in the health, safety and wellbeing of the people who use our services.
If you need any additional mandatory and statutory training, one of our education and development team will arrange this for you during your induction.
New staff, current employees who have been appointed to other positions at the Trust, and medical staff who are rotating through different specialties will have a local induction. This is also sometimes called a departmental induction.
- an introduction to your area of work
- local and Trust-wide policies and procedures relating to your role and the department you work in
- key contacts
Ongoing statutory and mandatory training
Within your first six weeks at King’s you will also have an initial appraisal discussion with your line manager. This aims to identify any skills or knowledge gaps and to agree expectations and behaviours while in the post.
From then on:
- your training needs will be identified in relation to your job role and staff group
- you can check your requirements against training needs analyses and profiles
- you can get training dates from the lead training departments or the education and development team.
Training by e-learning
King’s was one of the first Trusts to pilot the National e-Learning Management System (NLMS). This has several benefits:
- all training completed by e-learning is automatically recorded centrally on your record
- all courses are free
- there are more than 200 e-learning programmes available
- you can follow mandatory and professional courses
- you can study at work or at home your home PC.