Friends of King’s
The Friends of King’s charity provides amenities and comforts for patients and staff at the Trust, as well as medical aids and teaching equipment. Kingfishers works in close collaboration with the Friends of King's and focuses specifically on children.
We were set up as a voluntary organisation in 1917 and rely on regular donations from our members and the help of our volunteers. We also raise money throughout the year through various fund-raising activities.
Over the years, we have probably contributed to every ward, department or outpatient clinic in the hospital. All requests for funds are considered at our committee meetings.
How we support King’s
All our activities aim to support King’s patients and staff, whether through providing a service or raising money – and often both.
What we provide
These are just a few the contributions we have made to King's over the years, thanks to numerous donations.
- Refurbishing key patient areas
- We have contributed £200,000 towards the costs of transforming Marjory Warren ward into a unique, sensory environment for older people, including those with dementia. The new sensory day room on the ward has been named after long-term supporter of the charity, Rosa Davis, without whose legacy this transformation would not have been possible.
- Providing equipment to support patient care
- This includes safety testing equipment for patients with breathing problems who use Continuous Positive Airway Pressure (CPAP) machines at home, meaning they have to spend less time in hospital. We have also supplied auto-tilt chairs for Critical Care Units and bladder ultrasound scanners for numerous clinical areas.
- Helping to improve the patient and visitor experience
- We have provided televisions and Nintendo games consoles for children on Princess Elizabeth Ward plus furniture and pictures for day rooms for various wards. In association with our charity, Kingsfishers, we have also helped to provide fold-up beds for parents who stay with their children overnight.
- Helping to keep patients and their belongings safe
- We are supporting the initiative by the Trust's Police Liaison Officer, Graham Alldus, to encourage inpatients to use security pouches. These can be bought from our Gift Shop and the Trolley Shop. They are big enough to hold cash, house keys and a mobile phone and patients can keep them with them when they go for investigations, surgery or other care.
- Supporting the Friends Stroke Unit
- We provide equipment to improve patients’ overall care and experience on the unit. We also provide books and training equipment for the team.
- Trolley Shop
- You can find our Trolley Shop next to the Chapel on the first floor of Cheyne Wing. We sell confectionery - including sugar-free sweets - drinks and toiletries, and take a small trolley round the wards each day.
- Gift Shop
- Our bigger, brighter, fully refurbished Gift Shop is now open on the ground floor of Cheyne Wing selling a wide variety of cards, balloons and soft toys. If you are looking for a gift that’s a little different, this is the place to come!
We usually open 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday, but this is not always possible because of a lack of volunteers.
- Library Trolley
- We take a Library Trolley around the wards on Wednesday afternoons and always have a small collection of books available free next to the Trolley Shop.
We raise funds in many ways, from holding cake sales to collection days and collection boxes in local shops. Buying from our shops also helps us to raise money.
There are a number of ways you can make a contribution.
- Donations and legacies
- People who make donations or leave legacies to the charity come from all sectors of society. Many have been patients at King’s or are relatives or friends of patients. All wish to show their appreciation of King’s work in a meaningful way.
- You can donate or fundraise online, or complete the Friends Gift Aid form or Friends Deed of Covenant form, and send it to our Administrator at the address below. Contact them if you would like to discuss further how you can make a contribution to our charity.
- Join the Friends
- Anyone can join Friends of King’s. You do not need to have been a patient, although many of our members are. The minimum subscription is £5 a year, but extra donations are greatly appreciated. To join, complete Friends Membership application form or contact our Administrator more information. To make a regular contribution, download and fill in Friends Direct Debit form.
Become a Friends of King's volunteer
We could not do anything without our volunteers, who generously give their time and energy to the charity. We welcome people from every part of the diverse community that King’s serves and rely on their help to ensure Friend’s continues to provide valuable support to the hospital, its patients and its staff.
Our volunteers are the most important part of our team, so we organise a special thank you lunch for them each year. King’s also acknowledges the work of all volunteers across the hospital at an annual ceremony and lunch, where it awards long-service badges.
It would be great to hear from you, whether you have only a couple of hours to spare a few days a month or can commit more time to getting involved in our work. Our volunteers say they find helping out at King’s a rewarding experience. So if you have time to give and would like to get involved, go to Volunteering at King's or contact our Administrator.
For more information about Friend’s, how you can get involved or make a donation, please phone or email our Administrator, or call into our office next to the Chapel on the first floor of Cheyne Wing. They are in the office 9.30am- 3.30pm, Tuesday to Thursday.
Friends of King’s Administrator
Friends of King’s College Hospital
King’s College Hospital
London SE5 9RS
Tel 020 3299 3370
Registered Charity No: 207328