What we do
We are a local and regional centre providing inpatients and outpatients with a comprehensive diagnostic and treatment service. We offer a wide range of procedures and investigations, including:
- gastroscopy (OGD)
- oesophageal, biliary and colonic dilatation and stenting
- flexible sigmoidoscopy
- endoscopic ultrasound (EUS)
- endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)
- video-capsule endoscopy
- endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR).
Preparing for your appointment
The preparation you need to make for your appointment will depend on the type of procedure you are having.
You may need to fast – not eat or drink anything – for a period of time beforehand, take a bowel cleansing medicine or arrange for an escort to take you home and stay with you overnight.
We will send you full information of any preparation you need to make with your appointment letter or explain it over the telephone if your appointment is made at late notice. It is very important that you follow these instructions so we do not need to cancel your appointment on the day.
Please contact us if you have diabetes or take blood-thinning medication such as warfarin or clopidegrel.
Lower Ground Floor, Hambleden Wing, King’s College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception (for calls related to appointments on the day): +44 (0)20 3299 7874
- Patient Appointments Line: (for calls related to future appointments) +44 (0)20 3299 3599
- Endoscopy Nurses Station: +44 (0)20 3299 4079
- Endoscopy Pre-assessment Clinic: +44 (0)20 3299 2775
- Endoscopy Matron: +44 (0)20 3299 4080
- Endoscopy Ward Manager: +44 (0)20 3299 8421
- Endoscopy Practice Development Team: +44 (0)20 3299 8420
- Endoscopy Quality and Audit Nurse Lead: +44 (0)20 3299 4893
- Decontamination Unit Manager: +44 (0)20 3299 4951
Patient information leaflets
|Capsule enteroscopy||435 KB|
|Colonoscopic ultrasound||245 KB|
|Flexible sigmoidoscopy||158 KB|
|Having a transnasal endoscopy – examination of the oesophagus, stomach and small intestine||457 KB|
|OGD (gastroscopy)||260 KB|
Conditions we treat
We cover all diseases of the digestive tract. In conjunction with the Liver Unit, we also provide endoscopic procedures for pancreatic and liver problems. Colorectal procedures and investigations of the small bowel are undertaken jointly between gastro and surgical specialities.
- diagnostic and therapeutic gastroscopy (OGD)
- diagnostic and therapeutic colonoscopy
- flexible sigmoidoscopy
- video capsule endoscopy
- EUS (Endoscopic ultrasound)
- EMR (Endoscopic mucosal resection)
- double balloon enteroscopy
- PEG and gastro pexy
- 3D endoscopy and ultrasound
The range of therapeutic endoscopy includes:
- balloon dilatation
- stent insertion
- PEG insertion
- and a wide modality of treatments for GI bleeding
Other investigations relating to liver and pancreatic problems can be treated with ERCP, endoscopic ultrasound (both diagnostic and interventional) and duodenal stenting.
What is required before referring a patient
Modern guidelines have substantially reduced the need for diagnostic endoscopy for conditions such as dyspepsia. However, direct referrals from primary care will be evaluated and if endoscopy seems appropriate, we can offer the patient an appointment.
Booking a patient at King’s
All routine referrals should made to individual specialties, such as gastroenterology, liver or colorectal surgery. On receipt of the referral, the consultant will make an internal referral to endoscopy, if appropriate.
Emergency referrals can be made by speaking directly with the SpRs or one of the consultants from the appropriate specialty, or by letter.
Patients with risk of cancer can be directly referred via the urgent suspected cancer referral pathway.
Key Clinical Staff
|Louise Bensaid||Endoscopy Quality and Audit Nurse Lead|
|Krystal Cocjin||Endoscopy Pre-assessment Lead Nurse|
|Kamille Guiwo||Endoscopy Practice Development Nurse|
|Dr Shraddha Gulati||Endoscopy Joint Clincal Lead|
|Dave Kyle||Endoscopy Ward Manager|
|Dr Deepak Joshi||Endoscopy Joint Clincal Lead|
|Lysetta Purser||Endoscopy Matron|
|Savita Ramnarain||Endoscopy Ward Manager|
|Philippa Robinson||Endoscopy Practice Development Nurse|