The Friends of King’s charity provides amenities and comforts for patients and staff at King’s, as well as medical aids and teaching equipment. Kingfishers works in close collaboration with The Friends of King's and focuses specifically on children.
We were set up as a voluntary organisation in 1917 and rely on regular donations from our members and the help of our volunteers. We also raise money throughout the year through various fund-raising activities.
Over the years, we have probably contributed to every ward, department or outpatient clinic in the hospital. All requests for funds are considered at our committee meetings.
All our activities aim to support King’s patients and staff, whether through providing a service or raising money – and often both.
During 2010 we contributed more than £90,000 to the hospital. This helped buy a wide range of equipment, from visiting area furniture to ECG machines and infusion pumps.
We continue to support Friends Stroke Unit, providing equipment to improve patients’ overall care and experience at King’s. For example, we have funded a washing machine and tumble dryer so they patients can now wash and wear their own clothes on the ward, because staff feel this is important for their rehabilitation.
We also donated £17,000 of a total of £23,000 - with The Kingfishers providing the remainder - to refurbish the Adolescent Room. In addition, we provided the majority of the funds to workstation trolleys for the Newborn Unit.
- Trolley Shop
- Our Trolley Shop is next to the Chapel on the first floor of Cheyne Wing. We sell confectionery, drinks and toiletries, and take a small trolley round the wards each day which is very popular with patients.
- Library Trolley
- We take a Library Trolley around the wards on Wednesday afternoons and we always have a small collection of books available free next to the Trolley Shop.
- Gift Shop
- Our bigger, brighter, fully refurbished Gift Shop is now open on the ground floor of Cheyne Wing selling a wide variety of cards, balloons and soft toys. If you are looking for a gift that’s a little different, this is the place to come!
Opening times: 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday
We raise funds in many ways, from holding cake sales in the Golden Jubilee Wing to collection days at local rail stations and collection boxes in local shops. Buying from our shops also helps us to raise money, but there are a number of other ways you can make a contribution.
- Donations and Legacies
- People who make donations or leave legacies to the charity come from all sectors of society. Many have been patients at King’s or are relatives or friends of patients. All wish to show their appreciation of King’s work in a meaningful way.
- You can make a donation to our charity by completing Friends Gift Aid form or Friends Deed of Covenant form, and sending it to our Administrator at the address below. Contact our Administrator if you would like to discuss further how you can make a contribution to our charity.
- Join the Friends
- Anyone can join Friends of King’s. You do not need to have been a patient, although many of our members are. The minimum subscription is £5 a year, but extra donations are greatly appreciated. To join, complete Friends Membership application form
or contact our Administrator more information – contact details are below. To make a regular contribution, download and fill in Friends Direct Debit form.
We could not do anything without our volunteers, who generously give their time and energy to the charity. We welcome people from every part of the diverse community that King’s serves and rely on their help to ensure Friend’s continues to provide valuable support to the hospital, its patients and its staff.
Our volunteers are the most important part of our team, so we organise a special thank you lunch for them each year. King’s also acknowledges the work of all volunteers across the hospital at an annual ceremony and lunch, where it awards long-service badges.
It would be great to hear from you, whether you have only a couple of hours to spare a few days a month or can commit more time to getting involved in our work. Our volunteers say they find helping out at King’s a rewarding experience. So if you have time to give and would like to get involved, go to Volunteering at King's or contact our Administrator.
For more information about Friend’s, how you can get involved or make a donation, please phone or email our Administror, or call into our office next to the Chapel on the first floor of Cheyne Wing. Our Administrator is in the office Tuesday –Thursday every week, between 9.30am and 3.30pm.
Friends of King’s Administrator
The Friends of King’s College Hospital
King’s College Hospital
London SE5 9RS
Tel 020 3299 3370
Registered Charity No: 207328