What we do
King's Regional Neurosurgical Unit provides a specialist spinal service for people living in South East London and Kent.
Our team includes neurosurgeons, physiotherapists, pain relief doctors, neuroradiologists and a spinal clinical nurse specialist, enabling us to offer a wide range of treatments and provide the best possible patient care.
We treat degenerative spinal conditions such as back and neck pain, lumbar, cervical and thoracic problems and sciatica.
We have four neurosurgeons who specialise in complex spinal surgery and the treatment of spinal injuries. We also have a joint complex spine clinic which enables the team to discuss the best treatment options for each patient.
For more information about spinal surgery, visit The British Association of Spine Surgeons and search for ‘patient information’.
Preparing for your appointment
The MSK Specialist or hospital consultant who referred you to our service will need to send us your MRI scan, which needs to have been taken in the past six months. We will not be able to review your case until we have received this scan. We will let you know what is agreed at the review and, if appropriate, make an appointment for you to see us.
If required you may be contacted to arrange another MRI scan before your appointment at King's. Some patients may also need to undergo other investigations before their appointment. If we have confirmed you need further investigations but you have not received a date for these yet, please contact the Spinal Co-ordinator or the MDT Assistant so they can arrange them.
If you have any concerns about your referral, please contact the Spinal Pathway Co-ordinator.
Suite 5, First Floor, Golden Jubilee Wing, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 5178
- Neurosciences Admissions Office: +44 (0)20 3299 1583
- Outpatient Appointments: +44 (0)20 3299 6804
- Pre-assessment team: +44 (0)20 3299 4433
- Spinal MDT Assistant: +44 (0)20 3299 1225
- Spinal MDT Co-ordinator: +44 (0)20 3299 5178
- Spinal MDT Email: email@example.com
Patient Information Leaflets
Conditions we treat
We treat a variety of spinal conditions using procedures that include:
- lumbar spinal fusion
- anterior cervical discectomy / fusion (ACD/ACDF)
- cervical laminectomy
- cervical spinal fusion
- posterior lumbar interbody fusion (PLIF).
Please note: We do not accept referrals for patients with neck or axial back pain. These patients should be referred to a local musculo-skeletal assessment service.
What is required before referring a patient
We do not accept routine spine referrals directly from GPs. Referrals must come via an MSK Triage and Treat service, in line with the National Back Pain pathway. This promotes review by an MSK Specialist (predominantly advanced practice physiotherapists) to provide the expert spinal assessment, request any diagnostics required, including MRIs, and make the referral for a spine surgery opinion when clinically indicated (NG59).
- Routine spine referrals to King’s College Hospital Neurosurgery must be accompanied by an MRI scan carried out within the past six months and sent to us via image link or on a CD.
- Emergency Spine referrals require immediate referral to a local hospital emergency department for assessment and MRI. The local hospital team should escalate to emergency tertiary care at King’s College Hospital as clinically appropriate after discussing with the on-call Neurosurgeon. See Emergency Referrals below.
Booking a patient at King's
Please read the guidelines on the referral form before you make a routine referral to ensure the patient requires a neurosurgical opinion.
All referrals that come into the Neurosurgery Spinal team are initially discussed with the multidisciplinary team and may go on to receive a Neurosurgical outpatient appointment, or referrals may be returned to the referrer with advice regarding patients’ future management if a surgical intervention is not indicated.
• Routine Spine referrals must come via local Triage and Treat services (not direct from GPs), which must fully complete the Neurosurgery Spinal MDT Referral Form below and email it to King’s College Hospital Neurosurgery Spine team: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Secondary care consultants can make Spine referrals by fully completing the Neurosurgery Spinal MDT Referral Form and emailing it to King’s College Hospital Neurosurgery Spine team: email@example.com
We prefer to receive routine Spine referrals by email. However, they can also be made by post by fully completing the Neurosurgery Spinal MDT Referral Form and sending it to:
Spinal Team, Department of Neurosurgery
4th Floor, Hambleden Wing Central
King’s College Hospital
London SE5 9RS
Please read the guidelines on the referral form below to determine the urgency of the referral.
Referrals from hospitals
Go to the acute neurosurgery referrals page for advice on how to refer using the inter-hospital system.
Referrals from GPs
Patients should be referred to their local A&E department for urgent assessment.
For other queries as well as advice and guidance on urgent and routine referrals, contact the Spinal Pathway Co-ordinator on 020 3299 5178 or the MDT Assistant on 020 3299 1225.
Please complete the relevant form and note any pre-consultation investigations required:
Key Clinical Staff
|Mr Sinan Al-Barazi||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Prof Keyoumars Ashkan||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Mr Sanj Bassi||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Mr David Bell||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Mr Richard Gullan||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Mr Pandurang Kulkarni||Associate Specialist Spinal Neurosurgeon|
|Mr Irfan Malik||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Mr Nick Thomas||Consultant Neurosurgeon|
|Mr Christos Tolias||Consultant Neurosurgeon|