Red cell haematology
What we do
We run one of the largest services in the UK for the diagnosis and treatment of haemoglobin conditions (haemoglobinopathies) such as sickle cell disease and thalassaemia.
- Multidisciplinary management of sickle cell disease, thalassaemia and other haemoglobin conditions incuding joint sickle antenatal, orthopaedic, renal and cardiology clinics.
- Day unit management of sickle crisis, where patients can be seen in the Supportive Therapy Unit as part of our walk-in service, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Out of hours, patients should go to the Emergency Department.
- Prenatal diagnosis for sickle cell disease and thalassaemia.
- Investigation and management of other red cell disorders including anaemias and enzyme function conditions (enzymopathies).
- Management of porphyrias.
Twice a year, in the spring and the autumn, we hold a sickle cell patient forum. This gives patients and carers a chance to find out more about sickle cell disease as well as enabling them to have a say in the service we provide.
Preparing for your appointment
Please bring a list of any medication you are taking with you to your appointment.
Ground floor, Cheyne Wing, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Haematology Clinic Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 5554
Patient Information Leaflets
Conditions we treat
Our service has various clinics that deal with the following conditions:
- sickle cell disease, thalassaemia and other haemoglobinopathies
- sickle crisis (day unit management)
- other red cell disorders including anaemias and enzymopathies
We also offer prenatal diagnosis of sickle cell disease and thalassaemia.
For details of King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust's clinical diagnostic pathology service, visit Viapath.
Booking a patient at King's
Appointments for this service are made via the national e-Referral Service. Please see the e-referral page for more information.
Other ways to refer
For routine referrals, please contact:
Haematology Clinic Reception, tel 020 3299 5554
Or the consultants’ secretary, tel 020 3299 4152
For urgent referrals, contact the on-call haematology registrar via King's main switchboard, tel 020 3299 9000.
For advice and guidance on urgent referrals, contact the on-call haematology registrar via King's main switchboard, tel 020 3299 9000.
For advice and guidance on routine referrals, contact the red cell haematology registrar via King's main switchboard, tel 020 3299 9000.
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Moji Awogbade||Consultant Haematologist, Sickle Cell|
|Miss Jadie Baxter||SATO|
|Dr Raj Patel||Consultant Haematologist, Coagulation|
|Dr David Rees||Consultant Paediatric Haematologist|
|Ms Sarah Wilson1||senior assistant technical assistant|