What we do
King's hepatology (liver medicine) service is renowned worldwide and is provided by a team that includes leading specialist liver doctors.
Our Liver Unit treats a diverse range of liver conditions as well as rare diseases. These include:
- fatty liver disease
- alcoholic liver disease
- primary billiary cirrhosis (PBC)
- autoimmune hepatitis
- autoimmune sclerosing cholangitis
- portal hypertension
- genetic liver diseases such as haemochromatosis.
Depending on your diagnosis, we aim for you to see a specialist within six weeks of us receiving your referral. They will discuss with you the best way to treat your condition.
Preparing for your appointment
It is important that you have all relevant blood tests before your first appointment with the Hepatology Service. Please ask your GP to ensure this is done.
Suite 9, Third Floor, Golden Jubilee Wing, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 3654
- First outpatient appointment: +44 (0)20 3299 1919
- Follow-up appointments: +44 (0)20 3299 4979
- Follow-up appointments email: email@example.com
Conditions we treat
Our service has various clinics that investigate and treat the following conditions:
- alcohol-related and non-alcohol related liver disease
- fatty liver disease
- autoimmune liver disease and autoimmune hepatitis
- primary biliary cirrhosis
- primary sclerosing cholangitis, autoimmune sclerosing cholangitis and IG G4-related cholangiopathy
- alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency
- Wilson's Disease
- portal vein thrombosis
- Budd Chiari syndrome
- veno occlusive disease
- hepatocellular carcinoma
- liver adenoma, tumours, and acute and subacute liver failure
- genetic liver disease
- portal hypertension.
All our outpatient clinics reflect sub-specialisation in the field of liver disease. These include:
- Alcohol-related – run by Prof John O'Grady and Dr Matthew Foxton.
- Hepatocellular carcinoma – run by Dr Abid Suddle and Prof Nigel Heaton.
- Autoimmune liver disease – run by Dr Michael Heneghan and Dr Demetrios Bogdanos.
- Metabolic liver disease – run by Dr Adrian Bomford,
- Encephalopathy and chronic liver disease – run by Dr Debbie Shawcross.
For details of expert interpretative advice and specialist diagnostic and drug monitoring services offered by King's College Hospital's Liver Pathology Services and Academic Laboratories, visit King’s Liver Labs.
What is required before referring a patient
For an effective consultation, it is important that all relevant blood tests are performed before you refer the patient to the Hepatology Service.
Booking a patient at King's
GPs should refer via NHS e-referral (e-RS) wherever possible.
Other ways to refer
Other healthcare professionals can make routine referrals by writing to:
Institute of Liver Studies
3rd floor, Cheyne Wing,
King's College Hospital
London SE5 9RS
Advanced Chronic Liver Disease MDM referrals
Tertiary referrers can refer patients with decompensated advanced chronic liver disease by filling in the form below and emailing it to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
To make an urgent referral, GPs should use NHS e-Referral and state that the referral is urgent.
The unit always has an on-call specialist registrar, supported by a consultant, to accept urgent referrals requiring inpatient assessment or advice. To contact them, call the main switchboard on 020 3299 9000 and ask for the liver SpR or on-call liver consultant.
Please complete the relevant form and note any pre-consultation investigations required:
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Kosh Agarwal||Consultant Hepatologist/ Transplantation|
|Prof Geoff Dusheiko||Professor|
|Dr Matthew Foxton||Consultant Hepatologist|
|Dr Navjyot Hansi||Locum Consultant Hepatology|
|Dr Phil Harrison||Consultant|
|Dr Brian Hogan||Consultant Intensivist & Hepatologist|
|Dr Sarah Hughes||Consultant|
|Dr Deepak Joshi||Consultant|
|Prof John O'Grady||Professor of Hepatology|
|Mr Mags O'Sullivan||Clinical Nurse specialist|
|Dr Vishal Patel||Consultant Hepatologist|
|Dr Vishal Patel||Clinical Lecturer in Hepatology|
|Dr Tamir Rashid||Consultant|
|Dr Naina Shah||Locum Consultant Hepatologist|
|Dr Jayshri Shah||Consultant Hepatologist|
|Dr Abid Suddle||Consultant Hepatologist|