Referring a patient
All urgent or routine referrals to King's for outpatient consultations should be made electronically. This is quicker and more secure, and ensures we receive your request.
You can refer in the following ways:
- check the services A-Z for detailed referral information
- GPs must refer via NHS e-Referral (e-RS) to consultant-led clinics. If no capacity is available, use the ‘Defer to Provider’ option
- other healthcare professionals can also email kch-tr.KCHReferrals@nhs.net.
All suspected cancer referrals should be sent via our two-week wait referral pathway.
Advice for GPs managing and referring acutely unwell patients
You can contact us for advice on managing acutely unwell:
Frail older patients (Gerontology)
If you are a GP in Lambeth or Southwark you can dial your local Consultant Connect phone number and select ‘King’s Older Persons Assessment Unit’.
The service is available 24/7. Call it to speak to a consultant to do the following:
- Avoid the patient attending King’s Emergency department - discuss alternatives to an emergency attendance.
- Arrange a HOT appointment (same or next working day) or timely access to outpatient clinics.
Adult medical patients
GPs can call the King's TALK service phoneline to discuss rapid outpatient review, and for clinical advice or admission avoidance for acutely unwell medical patients.
Phone 020 3299 6613. Available 24/7.
Mondays to Fridays 08:00-17:00, your call will be taken by an Acute Medicine consultant. At all other times, including bank holidays, your call will be taken by the on-call Medical Registrar.
GPs can discuss rapid access clinic review, ED attendance, and admission avoidance by phoning the Consultant Connect service.
Each GP practice in the boroughs of Lambeth, Southwark, and Bromley has a unique phone number for Consultant Connect. If you are calling from outside these three boroughs, phone our switchboard on 0203 299 9000 and ask to speak to the paediatric short stay consultant on call.
Consultant Connect is available:
- Monday-Friday, 08:30-21:00
- Saturday, Sunday and bank (public) holidays, 08:30-17:00.