What we do
We treat a wide range of common conditions, such as undescended testes and abdominal wall hernias, that require elective (planned) operations. We perform both open and minimally invasive (keyhole) surgery on children from infancy to adolescence.
We have specialised multidisciplinary referrals clinics for:
- hepatobiliary (liver and gall bladder) surgery, including liver tumours
- pancreatic surgery
- short bowel syndrome
- congenital thoracic conditions (chest disorders that children are born with)
- newborn (neonatal) surgery.
We also run:
- an Adolescent Obesity Clinic
- a clinic three times a week for newborns with tongue tie and feeding difficulties run by breast feeding counsellors and surgeons.
- surgical outreach clinics, which are held at Medway Maritime Hospital and Maidstone Hospital
- antenatal counselling services for women whose unborn babies have conditions requiring surgery. We run this together with the Harris Birthright Centre.
We also provide support for regional children's cystic fibrosis and sickle cell services. In addition, we have a tertiary referral service for newborn and general children's surgical emergencies.
Third floor, Hambleden Wing, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 3560
Conditions we treat
Paediatric surgery treats conditions including hernias, phimosis, gall stones, abdominal pain, appendicitis, tongue tie, general childhood surgical problems, empyema and urology.
What is required before referring a patient
No clinical requirements.
Booking a patient at King's
Appointments for this service are made via the national Choose and Book system. Please see the Choose and Book page for more information.
Other ways to refer
For routine referrals, contact the Paediatric Surgical Secretary on 020 3299 3350.
For emergency referrals, contact the on-call Paediatric Surgical SpR via King's main switchboard on 020 3299 9000.
Key Clinical Staff
|Mr Niyi Ade-Ajayi||Consultant Paediatric Surgeon|
|Prof Mark Davenport||Consultant Paediatric Surgeon|
|Mr Ashish Desai||Consultant Paediatric Surgeon|
|Ms Elena PALADE||Senior Clinical fellow|
|Mr Shailesh Patel||Consultant Paediatric Surgeon|