What we do
We diagnose and treat mouth and jaw conditions that do not need surgery. These include:
- abnormalities of the lining of your mouth:
- white or red or pigmented patches
- lumps and bumps
- pain in your face, jaw or mouth
- mouth dryness and salivary gland disorders.
We see patients with suspected oral cancer within two weeks of referral.
We are also carry out research such as:
- oral cancer in young people and the care they receive
- oral cancer screening tests
- using laser technology to remove precancerous sores (oral leukoplakia).
We do not treat common dental disorders such as tooth and gum disease or mouth trauma/injuries. These are treated by other units at King's Dental Institute.
Preparing for your appointment
Please bring to your appointment:
- a referral letter from your GP or dentist
- a completed medical history form
- the name and address of your GP or dentist (GP if referred by your dentist, dentist if referred by your GP).
Ground floor, Dental Institute, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 3263
Conditions we treat
- Oral ulcers/ulceration.
- Lumps and swellings of the oral cavity (including lymphadenopathy).
- White and red patches (including lichen planus and oral submucous fibrosis) suggestive of potentially malignant disease or malignancy.
- Stomatitis (including candidosis) and chelitis (or cheliosis).
- Pigmentary conditions of the oral mucosa.
- Facial pain and burning mouth symptoms.
- Dry mouth or other symptoms related to salivary gland disease.
We offer a urgent two-week referrals service for the following:
- Oral ulcer/lump that has lasted more than two weeks and is unexplained/ persistent and unresolved following the removal of an obvious local cause(s) considered suspicious of a malignancy.
- A persistent oral ulcer associated with unexplained tooth mobility not associated with periodontal disease.
- A patient with an acute episode of severe and somewhat generalised oral ulceration in lips, mouth or oro-pharynx.
- Any patient with a blistering disease that leads to oral ulceration.
Booking a patient at King's
Appointments for this service are made via the national e-Referral Service. Please see the e-referral page for more information.
Other ways to refer
Complete the referral form below and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post it to:
The Dental Institute
Central Referrals Office
King's College Hospital
London SE5 9RS
- For suspected cancer use the 2 week wait referral pathway.
- For other urgent referrals, complete the referral form below and email it to email@example.com, or discuss with the consultant you are referring to.
For other enquiries, phone the Department Clinical Secretary on 020 3299 2872.
Please complete the relevant form and note any pre-consultation investigations required:
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Shahid Chaudhry||Consultant|
|Mr Timothy Poate||Consultant|
|Prof Saman Warnakulasuriya||Professor in Oral Medicine|