Oral and maxillofacial surgery
What we do
Problems and conditions we treat include:
- bite abnormalities
- facial deformities
- head and neck trauma and injuries
- temporomandibular (jaw) joint disease
- salivary gland disease
- head and neck skin tumours
- impacted teeth, cysts and tumours
- many other mouth problems such as infections and abscesses.
- treatment for facial trauma and broken jaws
- nose surgery
- orthognathic surgery (surgical correction of jaw positioning)
- craniofacial (skull and face) surgery
- skull base surgery
- facial implants
- secondary cleft surgery (over the age of 20)
- dental surgery like surgical removal of jaw cysts, wisdom teeth pre-prosthetic surgery
- surgery and light therapy for head and neck skin cancer.
For patients who have a malignant condition, our cancer care webpages have more information about the cancer care provided at King's.
Ground floor, Dental Institute, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Admissions Office: +44 (0)20 3299 3783
- Maxillofacial Consultant Clinic Appointments: +44 (0)20 3299 3057
- Maxillofacial Consultant Clinic Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 3057
Patient Information Leaflets
Conditions we treat
We treat a wide range of conditions including:
- facial, dentoalveolar and craniofacial trauma
- salivary gland disease
- skin cancers of head and neck
- benign tumours in the head and neck region
- infections and abscesses.
We also offer:
- orthognathic surgery for facial deformity
- post-traumatic facial reconstructive surgery
- photodynamic therapy for skin conditions
- skull base and craniofacial surgery
- dentoalveolar and pre-prosthetic surgery.
Our Head and Neck Lump clinic is a one-stop rapid diagnosis clinic where patients are seen by a consultant haematologist, oral and maxillofacial surgeon, a histopathologist and radiologist. If required, FNA, ultrasound scans and nasal endoscopies are carried out on the spot. By the end of the appointment patients are referred on to the appropriate service for treatment.
Booking a patient at King's
GPs should refer via NHS e-referral (e-RS) wherever possible.
Other ways to refer
GPs should refer via NHS e-Referrals. Dentists and other healthcare professionals can send a referral letter or a filled in dental referral form (below) to:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Dental Institute, King’s College Hospital, Bessemer Road, London, SE5 9RS.
- Fax: 020 3299 4989.
For head and neck lumps: complete the Dental referral form (below) and indicate referral for “Head and Neck Lump clinic”. As above, GPs should refer via NHS e-Referrals, and dentists and other healthcare professionals by email, post or fax.
For suspected thyroid gland pathology for neck bumps: see Endocrinology.
Suspected cancer: use the 2 week wait referral pathway (fill in either the Head and Neck or the Haematology form). Patients with a neck lump will be seen at our Neck Lump clinic, a one-stop rapid diagnosis clinic. Other patients referred to us with suspected cancer will be seen at the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinic.
Other urgent maxillofacial referrals: call King's main switchboard on 020 3299 9000 and ask to speak to the on-call maxillofacial surgery SHO or registrar.
Suspected thyroid gland pathology for neck bumps: see Endocrinology.
For advice and guidance on all referrals, please contact the Dental Institute's Central Referral Office on 020 3299 4988.
Please complete the relevant form and note any pre-consultation investigations required:
Key Clinical Staff
|Miss Fee Abbas||Consultant Maxillofacial Surgeon|
|Mr Rob Bentley||Consultant Cranio-Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon|
|Mrs Rachel Bowley||Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Ms Joan Cruz||Maxillofacial Surgery Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Mrs Kate de Cala||Service Manager/ Lead Nurse|
|Miss Kathy Fan||Consultant Maxillofacial Surgeon|
|Miss Katherine George||Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon|
|Mr Spencer Hodges||Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon|
|Dr Christoph Huppa||Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon, Clinical Director - Dental Care Group|
|Mr Karim Hussain||consultant|
|Mr Jonas Osher||Consultant|
|Mr Philip Stenhouse||Consultant Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon|