What we do
King’s Liver Transplant Unit runs the largest transplantation programme in Europe, carrying out more than 200 procedures a year. We assess and treat both adults and children from all over the country and abroad.
We provide an integrated, multidisciplinary service which includes:
- Assessing patients’ suitability for transplantation This can be undertaken as an inpatient or an outpatient and includes imaging, blood and lung function tests, cardiac assessment and clinical review. It is supervised by a dedicated transplant hepatologist. Eligibility for the waiting list is decided after a multidisciplinary meeting of surgeons, hepatologists, anaesthetists, intensive care physicians, specialist transplant nurses (transplant coordinators) and social workers.
- Comprehensive education and support for all patients on the waiting list Patients meet all members of our team and are closely linked to a transplant coordinator while we are caring for them. They attend a specialist consent clinic where a consultant surgeon explains the transplant process and obtains the patient’s consent for the operation.
- Transplant surgery with aftercare When a suitable organ becomes available it is allocated to the most appropriate patient on the waiting list. We ask them to come to King’s as soon as possible to be assessed before they go to theatre. After surgery all patients stay on the Liver Intensive Therapy Unit (LITU) for 24-48 hours and then go to Todd Ward for further care.
- Post-transplant care and follow-up Newly transplanted patients are seen in clinic at least once a week; the interval between clinic appointments is gradually extended and established patients are seen every four - six months. The team offers help and advice outside of these appointments. All patients take anti-rejection (immunosuppressant) drugs long term and are monitored regularly to minimise any side-effects.
We offer a number of standard and more innovative techniques, such as:
- split liver transplantation, where the left part of the liver is transplanted into a child and the right to an adult
- living donor liver transplantation, where a segment of adult liver is transplanted into a child or another adult
- auxiliary liver transplantation, where a liver graft is transplanted alongside part of the patient's own organ.
King's is one of three centres nationally that carries out both the isolation and transplantation of islet cells. The latter is used to treat people with difficult to control Type 2 diabetes.
Preparing for your appointment
You will need a series of investigations before your assessment for transplantation at King's which will be organised by your referring doctor.
Suite 9, Third Floor, Golden Jubilee Wing, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Chantelle Watson Medical Secretary: +44 (0)20 3299 1766
- HPB MDM Co-ordinator (HPB and MDM Queries/Appointments): +44 (0)20 3299 2579
- HPB MDM Co-ordinator (HPB and MDM Queries/Appointments): +44 (0)20 3299 5827
- HPB MDM Co-ordinator (HPB and MDM Queries/Appointments): +44 (0)20 3299 5188
- HPB MDM Co-ordinator (HPB and MDM Queries/Appointments): +44 (0)20 3299 5989
- HPB MDM Co-ordinator (HPB and MDM Queries/Appointments): firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jeanette Brindley Team Leader (Hepatology): +44 (0)20 3299 3369
- Jerri Balzanelli Acting Medical Secretary (Hepatology): +44 (0)20 3299 3713
- Karen Baxter Medical Secretary: +44 (0)20 3299 3252
- Liver Outpatient Department (General and Follow-Up Appointment Queries): +44 (0)20 3299 4979
- Liver Outpatient Department (General Appointment Queries): email@example.com
- Lorna McDonald Acting Medical Secretary (Surgery): +44 (0)20 3299 1144
- OPAC (First NEW Hepatology appointments): +44 (0)20 3299 1919
- Patricia Lee Medical Typist (Hepatology): +44 (0)20 3299 3368
- Samina Begum Medical Secretary (LITU): +44 (0)20 3299 3367
- Sofina Bibi Team Leader (Surgical): +44 (0)20 3299 4801
- Transplant Co-ordinators: kch-tr.LiverTPC@nhs.net
- Wendy Littlejohn Transplant Service Manager: +44 (0)20 3299 4020
- Yvonne Gayle Medical Secretary: +44 (0)20 3299 3255
Patient Information Leaflets
Conditions we treat
Patients can be referred for transplant assessment via the Hepatology and Gastroenterology services at referring hospitals. The assessment for suitability for transplantation involves an in- or outpatient evaluation including imaging, blood tests, lung function tests, cardiac assessment and clinical review. Once a week, patients deemed appropriate for listing are added to the waiting list after a multi-disciplinary meeting of surgeons, hepatologists, anaesthetists, intensive care physicians, transplant coordinators and social workers.
All patients added to the list receive a comprehensive education session on what it is like to have a liver transplant plus an information pack. They will meet all members of the team and be closely linked to a transplant coordinator for the duration of their care with us.
Once on the waiting list all patients attend a specialist consent clinic where a consultant surgeon explains the different transplantation processes and techniques and acquires consent for the procedure.
For details of expert interpretative advice and specialist diagnostic and drug monitoring services offered by King's College Hospital's Liver Pathology Services and Academic Laboratories, visit King’s Liver Labs.
What is required before referring a patient
The following clinical information and investigations are optimal at referral:
- Clinical summary including hepatological diagnosis (including episodes of variceal haemorrhage; encephalopathy; diuretic resistant ascites), reason for referral and significant comorbidities/associated illnesses.
- Investigations including: full biochemical profile; liver profile (including hepatitis screen); Ferritin: alpha-1-antitrypsin; copper+caeruloplasmin; autoantibody screen (including smooth muscle and anti-mitochondrial); immunoglobulins; alpha-fetoprotein.
- Imaging; abdominal ultrasound/CT scan/MRI as appropriate (by CD with referral).
- Lung function.
Booking a patient at King's
Routine referrals should be sent to:
Liver Transplant Referrals Co-ordinator
Institute of Liver Studies
3rd Floor, Cheyne Wing
King's College Hospital
London SE5 9RS.
Referrals can also be sent to a named consultant in the unit (see Key Clinical Staff tab).
There is always a duty hepatology SpR, supported by a consultant, on call for the unit to accept urgent referrals requiring inpatient assessment or advice. Call via the main switchboard on 0203 299 9000 and ask for the hepatology SpR on call.
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Thawab Al-Chalabi||Consultant Hepatologist|
|Ms Racquel Opal Beckford||Liver Recipient Transplant Coordinator|
|Mr Will Bernal||Consultant Liver Intensivist / Caldicott Guardian / Corporate Medical Director|
|Miss Natalie Bolton||Biomedical Scientist, Hepatitis Testing Service|
|Mr Jozer Calara||Senior Research Nurse|
|Miss Yasmin Clinch||Healthcare Scientist|
|Miss Sarah Coate||Liver Transplant Coordinator|
|Mr Miriam Cortes Cerisuelo||Adult and paediatric liver transplantation|
|Mrs Loretta Dennis||Senior Biomedical Scientist|
|Mr Mara Evora||Medical Laboratory Assistant|
|Mr Simon Christopher Hammond||Quality & Risk manager|
|Prof Nigel Heaton||Liver Consultant|
|Ms Gin (Hye-Jeong) Lee||Liver Research Manager|
|Dr Ragai Mitry||Head of Liver Cell Production & Research/Reader in Hepatocyte Transplantation|
|Dr Phillip Morgan||Consultant Clinical Scientist|
|Mr Simon Ngo||Medical Laboratory Assistant|
|Ms Grace Palmer||Liver Recipient Transplant Coordinator|
|Ms Vernie Ramalingam||Liver Research Matron|
|Prof Mohamed Rela||Consultant in Liver Surgery and transplantation|
|Mrs Bhavna Shah||Associate Practitioner|
|Dr Dazhuang Shang||Principal Clinical Scientist|
|Mr Parthi Srinivasan||Consultant Surgeon - Liver Transplantation / HPB / General Surgery|
|Mr Chris Starling||Senior Biomedical Scientist|
|Dr Sandra Strautnieks||Research Scientist in Liver Molecular Genetics|
|Dr Abid Suddle||Consultant Hepatologist|
|Prof Richard Thompson||Professor of Molecular Hepatology|
|Prof Diego Vergani||Professor of Liver Immunopathology|
|Prof Julia Wendon||Consultant Intensivist|