Bowel Cancer Screening
What we do
King's Bowel Cancer Screening Centre is part of the national cancer screening programme. We see people from Lambeth and Southwark for routine bowel cancer screening, to find cancer earlier - sometimes before symptoms appear - when it is easier to treat. We can also detect and remove pre-cancerous cells. Go to www.nhs.uk for more information on screening.
If you have symptoms that might be a sign of cancer, contact your GP.
Bowel Cancer Screening
If you are registered with a Lambeth or Southwark GP and aged 60-74, you will be posted a screening kit every two years. If you are 75 or over, you can request a screening kit by phoning 0800 707 6060. If your test shows an abnormality, we will invite you to an appointment at King's with a Specialist Screening Practitioner. They will give you advice and refer you for a colonoscopy, if suitable.
- Specialist Screening Practitioner appointments: Suite 3, Venetian building, King's College Hospital campus, Caldecot Road.
- Colonoscopy appointments: Lower Ground Floor, Cheyne Wing, King's College Hospital
Bowel Scope Screening
If you are aged 55 and over, and registered with a Southwark or Lambeth GP surgery that is part of the Bowel Scope Screening programme, you will be invited for a flexible sigmoidoscopy. It takes 6 - 10 minutes to screen the lower bowel, where most bowel cancers occur. You may feel some abdominal discomfort during the procedure. To check if your surgery is part of the programme, ask your surgery or phone 0800 707 6060.
- Bowel Scope appointments: Lower Ground Floor, Cheyne Wing, King's College Hospital
For further information please contact the Main Reception.
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 7601
- King's Bowel Cancer Screening Centre email: kch-tr.BCS@nhs.net
- National bowel screening hub: +44 (0)800 707 6060
Conditions we treat
We are a screening centre for the national bowel cancer screening programme, seeing patients who live in Lambeth and Southwark. We are part of two national screening programmes:
- All Southwark and Lambeth GPs can signpost patients who are 60 or over to the FOBt bowel screening test.
- We are also rolling out Bowel Scope Screening to people who are 55 and over, and registered with a Southwark or Lambeth GP surgery that has gone live with the programme. To discuss whether your surgery have gone live, contact us on 020 3299 7601 / kch-tr.BCS@nhs.net.
Booking a patient at King's
Patients cannot be referred; instead, advise eligible patients to:
- Patients aged 60 or over: call the national screening hub on 0800 707 6060.
- Patients aged 55 or over (only open to surgeries that have gone live with Bowel Scope Screening): call the national screening hub on 0800 707 6060, or the King's Bowel Cancer Screening Centre on 020 3299 7601.
Tel: 020 3299 7601
Key Clinical Staff
|Miss Zoraida Castillo||Specialist Screening Practitioner|
|Mr Moftah Elbuzidi||Bowel Scope Endoscopist|
|Dr Bu Hayee||Accredited BCS colonoscopist|
|Mrs Ems Simpson||Specialist Screening Practitioner|
|Dr Raj Srirajaskanthan||Deputy Bowel Cancer Screening Director|