What we do
Rheumatologists diagnose and treat conditions affecting the joints and muscles. The rheumatology team includes doctors, specialist nurses, physiotherapists, podiatrists and a liaison psychiatrist. The department is actively involved in research.
We provide treatment and continuing care for inflammatory conditions including:
- inflammatory arthritis, such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis
- gout and pseudogout
- connective tissue diseases, such as SLE (lupus) and Sjogren’s syndrome (inflammation of the eye glands)
- temporal arteritis (inflammation of the arteries) and polymyalgia rheumatica (inflammation in muscles around the shoulders, neck and hips)
- vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels)
- myositis (muscle inflammation)
- bone problems such as metabolic bone disease and osteoporosis.
Patients with suspected inflammatory arthritis are fast-tracked and will be seen within three weeks of referral in our Early Inflammatory Arthritis service. We also see patients with non-inflammatory conditions such as osteoarthritis, complicated back pain, regional joint pain and chronic pain syndromes such as fibromyalgia.
Third floor, Willowfield Building, King’s College Hospital, Bessemer Road, SE5 9BG
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 8979
- Rheumatology Nurse Helpline: +44 (0)20 3299 1866
- Rheumatology Outpatient Appointments: +44 (0)20 3299 1919
- Rheumatology Outpatients Reception (Suite 3): +44 (0)20 3299 1527
Conditions we treat
Our Rheumatology service sees patients with the following conditions:
- Inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, seronegative spondyloarthropathies, undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis, sarcoidosis, reactive arthritis, crystal arthritis (gout/pseudogout). Patients with suspected inflammatory arthritis should be referred urgently using the early arthritis referral form (available below). The Early Inflammatory Arthritis service aims to see patients within three weeks of referral.
- Connective tissue disease such as SLE (lupus), Sjogren’s syndrome, scleroderma, myositis, anti-phospholipid syndrome.
- Vasculitis such as temporal arteritis/polymyalgia rheumatica, Wegener’s granulomatosis, Churg-Strauss syndrome.
- Osteoporosis and metabolic bone disease.
- Manage primary and secondary causes such as Pagets, osteomalacia, hyperparathyroidism and recurrent renal stones
What is required before referring a patient
In the case of suspected inflammatory arthritis, referrals should not be delayed by investigations.
Booking a patient at King’s
GPs should refer via NHS e-referral (e-RS) wherever possible.
Other ways to refer
Routine referrals from Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham should be directed to MCATS using the appropriate MCATS referral form (below).
Other healthcare professionals can email routine referrals to [email protected]
Metabolic bone and osteoporosis clinic – fast track bone density scans for secondary prevention also available. Please email referrals to [email protected]
We provide a 24-hour registrar on call service, supported by a consultant. For advice or to arrange urgent review or admission, please call switchboard 020 3299 9000 and ask to speak to the on-call Rheumatology Registrar.
To arrange for a patient to be seen within two weeks:
- GPs should refer via NHS e-Referral, stating the urgency
- other referrers should email [email protected] stating the urgency.
Please make early arthritis referrals using the Lambeth and Southwark Early Arthritis referral form (below).
For advice and guidance for referrals, please call switchboard on 020 3299 9000 and ask to speak to the on-call Rheumatology Registrar.
|Lambeth and Southwark early arthritis referral form||451 KB|
|MCATS and MSK referral form – Lambeth||77 KB|
|MCATS referral form – Southwark||93 KB|
Key Clinical Staff
|Mrs Danielle Arber||Paediatric Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Mrs Jisha Bhose||Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Mrs Karen Brickenden||Medical Secretary|
|Dr Richard Campbell||Consultant Rheumatologist and Physician|
|Dr Nap Cheung||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Miss Radka Chura||CNS|
|Dr James Galloway||Reader / Honorary Consultant|
|Dr Patrick Gordon||Consultant Rheumatologist and Honorary Senior Lecturer|
|Mrs Heather Lapham||Matron|
|Dr Arti Mahto||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Sarah Medley||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Aneela Mian||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Corina Moisoiu-Rosca||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Sanjeev Patel||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Sudip Purkayastha||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Andy Rutherford||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Mrs Rosaria Salerno||Rheumatology Specialist Nurse|
|Dr Mohammed Ikramullah Sharif||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Dee Sreerangaiah||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Sophia Steer||Consultant Rheumatologist|
|Dr Chris Wincup||Consultant Rheumatologist|