Speech and language therapy
What we do
Speech and language therapy manages speech, language, communication and swallowing disorders. We assess, diagnose and develop a programme of care to maximise the communication and swallowing potential of children and adults referred to our service.
Speech and language therapists (SLTs) are allied health professionals. They work closely with parents, carers and a range of other professionals such as teachers, nurses, occupational therapists and doctors.
Our SLTs offer a comprehensive range of inpatient and outpatient services and work as part of number of teams at both the King’s site and its unit at Lewisham Hospital.
- The Acute Team supports the trauma, emergency and acute medicine wards, including Friends Stroke Unit and the elderly care wards.
- The Neurosciences Team supports the regional neurosciences centre and sees inpatients and outpatients.
- The Paediatric Team supports the Neonatal Intensive Care and Special Care Baby units as well as the general children’s wards.
- The Neuro-rehabilitation Team works in the Frank Cooksey Rehabilitation Unit providing specialist care to patients over 16 with complex needs requiring intensive rehabilitation.
Fourth floor, Hambleden Wing, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 8368
Patient Information Leaflets
Conditions we treat
We assess, manage and treat disorders of speech, language, communication and swallowing in children and adults.
Our teams provide inpatient and outpatient care in the trauma, emergency and acute medicine wards, including Friends Stroke Unit and the elderly care wards; the regional neurosciences centre; Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Special Care Baby Unit and the general children’s wards; and the Frank Cooksey Rehabilitation Unit.
Booking a patient at King's
Outpatients are normally seen as part of multidisciplinary team referrals to consultant-led clinics.
GPs can refer adult patients with communication and swallowing difficulties to the specialist neurology outpatient service. To make a routine referral, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key Clinical Staff
|Ms Lynne Clark||Clinical Lead Speech & Language Therapist (Acute)|
|Miss Laura Hibbert||Speech and Language Therapist|
|Ms Julia Johnson||Clinical Lead Speech & Language Therapist (Neurology)|
|Ms Miranda Loveday||Clinical Lead Speech & Language Therapist (Paeds)|
|Mrs Deirdre Rainbow||Head of Speech & Language Therapy|