What we do
We are a specialist paediatric respiratory service and helped pioneer the development of the specialty in the UK.
We diagnose and treat infants and children with all types of respiratory (breathing) problems, and specialise in complex illnesses. We see children referred by local GPs as well as by hospitals in south London and south east England. Our outpatients clinics include general respiratory, asthma, difficult asthma, tuberculosis, non-CF bronchiectasis, ventilation (NIV and invasive), and a weekly rapid access clinics. We have a fully equipped paediatric lung function laboratory, a bronchoscopy (investigation) suite and a full range of diagnostic facilities.
We work closely with the Regional Cystic Fibrosis and Adolescent Centre, and give advice and support to services such as general paediatrics and critical care. We are also an accredited training centre and we do research into many areas of paediatric respiratory medicine and cystic fibrosis.
Preparing for your appointment
Please bring any medications, including inhaler devices, which your child may be using, to the appointment. If investigations such a chest x-ray or lung function testing are scheduled to happen directly before your clinic appointment, we will contact you with directions and a request to come early to have them done.
Third floor, Hambleden Wing, King's College Hospital, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 3563
- Asthma Clinical Nurse Specialist: +44 (0)20 3299 4640
- Children’s Outpatients: +44 (0)20 3299 3560
- Clinical Nurse Specialist: +44 (0)20 3299 5183
- Clinical Nurse Specialist - Respiratory/Sleep/NIV: +44 (0)20 3299 4580
Conditions we treat
We are a specialist paediatric respiratory service.
Chronic conditions we diagnose and treat include:
- Wheezing conditions such as asthma, chronic neonatal lung disease and dysfunctional breathing
- Cystic Fibrosis
- Other suppurative lung conditions and infections, such as aspiration lung disease and TB
- Sleep-disordered breathing, upper airways obstruction, disorders of respiratory control, and any cause of respiratory failure which may require support
- other diseases such as congenital lung or airway diseases, restrictive lung diseases and rare diseases such as interstitial lung disease.
Acute conditions we diagnose and treat include:
- Acute presentation of chronic conditions, such as severe asthma or CF pulmonary exacerbation
- Severe or complicated respiratory infection, such as necrotising pneumonia, lung abscess, severe bronchiolitis, pulmonary TB
- Pleural effusion: parapneumonic (empyema), tuberculous, malignant effusions
- Pneumothorax: primary spontaneous and secondary.
Diagnostic tests we perform include:
- comprehensive paediatric lung function testing, FeNO, nasal NO and allergy screening
- fibreoptic bronchoscopy (under G.A.)
- chest CT scanning
- oesophageal pH and impedance monitoring
- cardiopulmonary sleep tests
- Mantoux and T-SPOT TB tests
- Sweat testing
- enhanced sputum culture.
Booking a patient at King's
GPs should refer via NHS e-referral (e-RS) wherever possible.
Other ways to refer
Other healthcare professionals can email routine referrals to kch-tr.KCHReferrals@nhs.net
If a referral is urgent, please state this on referral correspondence.
Referrals for admission from GPs: contact the Paediatric SpR on-call for ED on 020 3299 9000 bleep 424
Urgent tertiary or secondary referral for clinic appointment: call the Paediatric Respiratory Registrar or consultant on duty on 020 3299 9000 bleep 397 before referring. At evenings and weekends call the Paediatric SpR on-call on 020 3299 9000 bleep 424.
Inpatient transfers for tertiary management: call the Paediatric Respiratory Registrar or consultant on duty on 020 3299 9000 bleep 397. During evenings and weekends call the Paediatric SpR on-call on 020 3299 9000 bleep 424.
The Paediatric Respiratory Secretary can be contacted on 020 3299 3563.
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Rania Abusamra||Respiratory Paediatric Consultant|
|Dr Cara Bossley||Consultant in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine|
|Dr Rossa Brugha||Consultant|
|Dr Shrabani Chakraborty||Locum Consultant|
|Miss Billie Coverly||Paediatric Respiratory CNS|
|Dr Atul Gupta||Consultant in Paediatric Respiratory Medicine|
|Ms Sarah Latham||Senior Paediatric Respiratory Nurse Specialist|
|Miss Ola Olagbaiye||PAEDIATRIC RESPIRATORY SLEEP STUDY TECHNICIAN|
|Dr Paul Pianosi||Paediatric Respirologist|
|Dr Gary Ruiz||Consultant Respiratory Paediatrician|