What we do
Women aged 50 to 70 are invited for routine screening mammography (breast x-ray examination) once every three years. Some women aged 47 to 49 and 71 to 73 may be invited as part of a national trial. If you are over 70 you may self-refer. The aim of screening is to find breast cancers when they are small and can be treated most effectively.
Approximately 1 in 20 (5%) women will be asked to attend a specialist clinic at King's following screening, for diagnosis.
The screening is carried out either on one of our mobile units or at static sites in South East London. These are at:
- Bromley Phoenix Centre, BR2 9JG
- Sydenham Savacentre, SE26 4 PU
- St Paul's Cray Clinic, BR5 2RJ
- 104 Camberwell Building, SE5 8RX
- Memorial Hospital, SE18 3RZ
- Thamesmead Sports Club, SE28 8NJ
Preparing for your appointment
Before having your mammogram, please tell us if you have:
- any disability
- breast implants.
Ground floor, Cheyne Wing, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 3381
Conditions we treat
There are two distinct breast imaging services at King's:
- The Breast Screening Service (South East London Breast Screening Service) - a nationally-led breast screening service for well women. This route is described below
- The Breast Care Clinic - a breast imaging service for symptomatic women referred directly from their GP. For more information, please contact the Breast Care Clinic on 020 3299 3600.
What is required before referring a patient
If the patient has any disability or has breast implants (augmentation), please inform us by phoning 020 3299 1964.
Booking a patient at King's
Not applicable, except for women aged over 71 years old who can self-refer (if eligible), by phoning 020 3758 2024.
Not applicable - this is a screening service for well women.
To change appointments or for queries, please contact Breast Screening Administration, tel: 020 3299 1964.
For advice from the Breast Care Nurse, tel: 020 3299 3615.
For advice from the Head of Breast Radiography, tel: 020 3299 3384.
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Bhavna Batohi||Consultant radiologist|
|Mrs Gillian Bowman||Lead Nurse-Breast Radiology|
|Ms Sue Dyson||Clinical Specialist|
|Mr Tibor Kovacs||Consultant|
|Mrs Viv Milnes||Consultant Radiographer|
|Dr Juliet Morel||Consultant Radiologist|
|Mrs Vivien Phillips||Senior radiographer|
|Miss Janet Sedgwick||Breast Care Nurse in Breast Screening|
|Dr Rema Wasan||Consultant Radiologist|
|Mrs Paula Williams||Breast screening Clinical Nurse Specialist.|