Freedom of information (FoI)

King’s aims to produce and share with our users high-quality information that helps them to understand and access our services.

Our information is often available in a printed format (sometimes by request only) and increasingly we are making more information available on our website.

When possible, our Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) is also available to help people access the information they need, even when they do not have access to a phone or the internet.

What is the Freedom of Information Act?

From 1 January 2005 the Freedom of Information Act allows anyone to ask for information held by a public authority, such as King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust. The Trust will deal with requests in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act Code of Practice and guidance from the Information Commissioner's Office.

Requesting information

They method you use to make a request depends on the type of information you require.

Media enquiries

Press enquiries, other than FOI requests, should be made through the Communications Team.

I want to see my patient records

This type of information is covered by the Data Protection Act and not the Freedom of Information Act so the procedure is different.

Current patient

If you would like to view your medical records while you are a patient, please discuss this with your care team.

Former patient
  • To request access to your medical records and other clinical information, complete the Access to Health Records form and return it to King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust.
  • For more details of the procedure, please read the Guidance notes for Access to Records.
  • If you have any queries, contact the Patient Records Service on 020 3299 3559.
Former patient of South London Healthcare Trust
  • If you were previously treated at Princess Royal University or Orpington hospitals, first read the Guidance notes for Access to Records.
  • If you then decide you would like to request access to your patient records and other clinical information, complete the Access to Health Records form and return it to the address given in the Guidance notes.
  • If you have any queries or need help completing the form, contact the Subject Access Support Team on 020 8302 2678, ext 3233 or 4512.
  • If you were previously treated at Queen Mary’s Hospital and are now a patient at another Trust, you can apply to see your records by contacting Oxleas NHS Foundation Trust, tel: 020 8308 3087.

I want to request information that is not on King’s website

If the information you want is not available through our publication scheme or if you are unable to find it elsewhere on our website, you can send a request to our Freedom of Information team.

You are entitled to ask whether we hold information on a specific area and then request copies of the information itself. Requests for information must be made in writing and include your name and an address to which correspondence can be sent. Requests should include a clear and specific description of the information you are seeking.

How to submit your request for information

Submitting your request via our online Freedom of Information request form ensures that the FOI team receive your request and are able to begin the FOI process straightaway.

If you wish you can post your request to:
Freedom of Information Lead
Operations Directorate
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
Denmark Hill
London SE5 9RS

Responding to requests

Once we have received your request we aim to respond within 20 working days or sooner. If we exceed this time limit we will explain the reasons for the delay and give you an estimate of how long it will take to meet your request.

How we process an FoI request

StageTime taken
Request for information submitted. FoI team logs request and starts the Trust process1-5 working days
Relevant departments locate information10 working days
Response to request is finalised.4-6 working days
Response sent to applicant.Total: up to 20 working days

Charges and fees for information

We are entitled to charge for copying the documents you have requested. In the majority of cases we waive these charges. If we are considering charging you, we will contact you to find out whether you still wish to continue with the request.

Appeal process

If you are dissatisfied with the Trust’s response, you may appeal to us in the first instance. Our appeals procedure has been prepared in accordance with a Code of Practice issued by the Secretary of State for Constitutional Affairs.