What we do
We care for patients with serious or life-limiting illnesses. Our goal is to achieve the best quality of life for our patients and their families.
The palliative care team includes consultants, specialist registrars, clinical nurse specialists and psychosocial workers. They work in all areas of the hospital including outpatients.
All patients we see remain under the care of their ward team, while we provide a specialist advisory service that:
- supports you and your family and carers to help you manage your illness
- helps you to manage your symptoms, such as pain, sickness and breathlessness
- explains the treatment options you may be offered
- offers information on social, practical and financial issues
- provides specialist advice to those involved in planning your discharge from hospital
- offers bereavement support and follow-up.
As part of King’s Health Partners, we are actively involved in teaching and research to improve the quality of care we provide.
Macmillan Information and Support Centre
The centre offers a welcoming and relaxed environment for patients, carers, family and friends of people with cancer or other long-term conditions who are looking for information about and support for their condition.
Based in the Cicely Saunders Institute at King’s, we offer face-to-face advice as well as access to online support networks and safe, reliable internet guidance.
If you are living with the consequences of a difficult diagnosis or would like to discuss any related issues, drop in or contact us at the Macmillan Information & Support Centre.
Preparing for your appointment
When you come to outpatient appointments, please bring all your your current medication with you.
First Floor, Cicely Saunders Institute, Bessemer Road, SE5 9PJ
- Main Reception: +44 (0)20 3299 4060
Patient Information Leaflets
- What is palliative care?
- Emergency care and treatment decisions
- Coping with dying
- Breathlessness – Positions to ease breathlessness
- Breathlessness – Distraction technique
- Breathlessness – Good sleep hygiene
- Palliative Care - A Visitors Guide to King's College Hospital
- Breathlessness – Breathlessness information
- Breathlessness – Managing breathlessness
- Breathlessness – Handheld fan
- Strong opioid painkillers in palliative care
Conditions we treat
This service is booked via King’s internal specialties and local community palliative care services only.
We treat any patient with advanced disease, including:
- motor neurone disease
- cardiac, liver or renal failure
Patients will usually have a limited prognosis and the focus of treatment will usually have changed from curative to palliative. However, early referrals for patients on active treatment, given with palliative intent, are encouraged.
Booking a patient at King's
This service is available only for internal departments at King's. For queries call the Palliative Care Team on 020 3299 4060 during working hours, 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.
GPs and other referrers outside of King's should fill in the 'LCA SPC referral form' on the London Cancer Alliance website to refer to Community Palliative Care units in the area.
This service cannot be booked by GPs.
For emergency referrals, local community palliative care services can contact the following:
- During working hours, 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, please call 020 3299 4060
- Out of hours, please contact the switchboard and ask for the on-call doctor on 020 3299 9000
For all other queries, please contact our team via the following:
- Tel 020 3299 4060
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Key Clinical Staff
|Dr Sabrina Bajwah||Consultant and Honorary Senior Lecturer|
|Dr Claudia Bausewein||Senior Clinical Research Fellow|
|Ms Leanne Boyle||Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Ms Debbie Brown||CNS Palliative care and Lung cancer|
|Dr Rachel Burman||Consultant|
|Mrs Kay Casson||Clinical Nurse Speciailist|
|Mrs Lyn Chandler||CNS Palliative Care|
|Dr Polly Edmonds||Hon Senior Lecturer/Consultant|
|Dr Louise Exton||Consultant|
|Prof Irene Higginson||Professor of Palliative Care|
|Mrs Connie Jackson||Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Dr Lynne Marsh||Consultant in Palliative Medicine|
|Prof Fliss Murtagh||Honorary Consultant in Palliative Medicine|
|Dr Wendy Prentice||Consultant in Palliative Medicine|
|Dr Fiona Ring||Consultant in Palliative Medicine|
|Ms Sarah Spencer-Adams||Clinical Nurse Specialist|
|Dr Ruth Ting||Consultant in Palliative Care|
|Mrs Ciara Wynne-Gallagher||Clinical Nurse Specialist|