Dr Prashanth Vas
Consultant in Diabetes and Diabetes Foot Medicine
MBBS, MRCP, PhD
Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Diabetic foot disease, including complex Charcot's foot
- Diabetic neuropathy
- Inpatient diabetes
- Painful neuropathy
- Peripheral vascular disease (circulatory) management in diabetes
- Renal diabetes
Dr Prash Vas is a Consultant Diabetologist and Diabetic Foot Physician at King's College Hospital. The King’s Diabetes Foot Clinic was the first dedicated multidisciplinary foot clinic in the world and is one of UK’s largest units dealing with complex diabetic (and sometimes non-diabetic) foot problems.
He has research interests in the aetiopathogensis of diabetic foot ulcers, development of diabetic neuropathy (especially small fibre neuropathy) and in validation of new techniques designed to detect neuropathy.
His work with Gerry Rayman at Ipswich Hospital led to the development of the Ipswich Touch Test, now widely recognised as a simple reliable method to assess loss of protective foot sensation. It has been taken up by Diabetes UK as the ‘Touch the Toes’ test. He has also been a part of two Quality in Care - Diabetes award-winning teams, most recently in 2014.
- Vas PR, Sharma S, Rayman G (2015) 'Utilizing the Ipswich Touch Test to simplify screening methods for identifying the risk of foot ulceration among diabetics: Comment on the Saudi experience', Primary care diabetes, ():
- Sharma S, Vas PR, Rayman G (2014) 'Assessment of Diabetic Neuropathy Using a Point-of-Care Nerve Conduction Device Shows Significant Associations With the LDIFLARE Method and Clinical Neuropathy Scoring', Journal of diabetes science and technology, ():
- Vas PR, Sharma S, Rayman G (2014) 'LDIflare small fiber function in normal glucose tolerant subjects with and without hypertriglyceridemia', Muscle & nerve, ():
- Huang DY, Wilkins CJ, Evans DR, Ammar T, Deane C, Vas PR, Rashid H, Sidhu PS, Edmonds ME (2014) 'The diabetic foot: the importance of coordinated care', Seminars in interventional radiology, 31,(4):307-12
- Vas PR, Rayman G (2013) 'Validation of the modified LDIFlare technique: a simple and quick method to assess C-fiber function', Muscle & nerve, 47,(3):351-6
- Vas PR, Green AQ, Rayman G (2012) 'Small fibre dysfunction, microvascular complications and glycaemic control in type 1 diabetes: a case-control study', Diabetologia, 55,(3):795-800
- Rayman G, Vas PR, Baker N, Taylor CG Jr, Gooday C, Alder AI, Donohoe M (2011) 'The Ipswich Touch Test: a simple and novel method to identify inpatients with diabetes at risk of foot ulceration', Diabetes care, 34,(7):1517-8