Dr Steve James
Consultant in Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia
MBBS, MA, FRCA, FFICM
- Blood Management
- Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing
- Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia
- Enhanced Recovery After Surgery
- Exercise Capacity
- Multimodal Monitoring for Anaesthesia
Dr Stephen James is a Consultant Anaesthetist. He has a specialist interest in cardiothoracic and high-risk anaesthesia and he is the lead for cardiopulmonary exercise testing at King's College Hospital.
He has developed a profile of peri-operative medicine skills, including the assessment of the high-risk patient, total intravenous anaesthesia, cardiac output monitoring, enhanced recovery, trans-oesophageal echocardiography and blood management.
Dr James trained at Cambridge University and then Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, where he qualified in 1999. During his training he researched the risk profiling of patients before major surgery and developed an interest in cardiopulmonary exercise testing.
He was appointed Consultant Anaesthetist at King's in 2013 and since then has used his interest in exercise testing to create the Exercise Intolerance Service. The service sees patients that are breathless, fatigued or unable to exercise, and provides a cross-specialty view into the cause.
- Association for Cardiothoracic Anaesthesia and Critical Care
- European Association for Cardiovascular Imaging
- Fellow of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine
- Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists
- Pre-operative Exercise Testing and Training Society