Dr Satish Jayawardene
Consultant Nephrologist, Lead for Acute Kidney Injury,
MBBS BSc(Hons) FRCP
- Acute kidney injury (AKI)
- Chronic kidney disease
Dr Satish Jayawardene trained in London and completed specialist training in the South Thames Renal Programme.
He joined King's in 2005 and is the clinical lead for acute kidney injury (AKI). He is responsible for the Bromley Dialysis Unit as well as jointly managing the General Nephrology clinics at King's (Mondays). He is at the Princess Royal University Hospital every Friday providing a ward consult service for renal patients and jointly managing the weekly general nephrology clinic. He is also Training Programme Director for the South London Renal Training Programme.
He has set up a one stop post-AKI clinic to identify patients needing long term nephrology clinic follow-up, raise awareness of kidney disease and educate patients on preventing chronic kidney disease (CKD). He jointly supervises our acute kidney injury (AKI) specialist nursing team who deliver ward consults and clinic follow-ups to AKI patients within the Trust.
His research interests include the early identification of those patients at risk of developing AKI.
He jointly edited the ABC of Kidney Disease (2nd edn, D Goldsmith, SA Jayawardene and P Ackland ed. Oxford: Blackwell Publishing, 2013). It is a practical guide to the most common renal diseases to help non-renal healthcare professionals screen, identify, treat and refer renal patients appropriately and to provide the best possible care.
- Member of Royal College of Physicians
- Renal Association
- Fish R, Pinney J, Jain P, Addison C, Jones C, Jayawardene S, Booth J, Howie AJ, Ghonemy T, Rajabali S, Roberts D, White L, Khan S, Morgan M, Cockwell P, Hutchison CA (2010) 'The incidence of major hemorrhagic complications after renal biopsies in patients with monoclonal gammopathies', Clinical journal of the American Society of Nephrology : CJASN, 5,(11):1977-80
- Wong V, Adams J, Jones MI, Dutt N, Dibble JB, Jayawardene SA (2009) 'Pneumococcal endoprosthetic pulmonary valve endocarditis with crescentic glomerulonephritis and acute renal failure', Clinical nephrology, 71,(3):318-20
- Mukherjee E, Mukherji D, Jayawardene SA, Kon SP (2007) 'Tumor lysis syndrome and acute renal failure--an increasing spectrum of presentations', Clinical nephrology, 68,(3):186-9
- Haydar AA, Covic A, Jayawardene S, Agharazii M, Smith E, Gordon I, O'Sullivan H, Goldsmith DJ (2004) 'Insights from ambulatory blood pressure monitoring: diagnosis of hypertension and diurnal blood pressure in renal transplant recipients', Transplantation, 77,(6):849-53
- Haydar AA, Covic A, Agharazii M, Jayawardene S, Taylor J, Goldsmith DJ (2004) 'Systolic blood pressure diurnal variation is not a predictor of renal target organ damage in kidney transplant recipients', American journal of transplantation : official journal of the American Society of Transplantation and the American Society of Transplant Surgeons, 4,(2):244-7