Prof Olaf Wendler
Professor of Cardiac Surgery King's College London, Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon
MD, PhD, FRCS
- Arterial revascularisation
- Ischemic ventricular septal defect repair
- Minimally invasive heart surgery
- Mitral valve repair
- Thoracic aortic surgery
- Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation
- Valve and aortic root repair
Prof Wendler is a Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon with a specialist internationally accredited interest in Adult Cardiac Surgery. He has a surgical and academic interest in transcatheter heart valve treatment, arterial revascularisation, ischemic ventricular septal defect repair, valve and aortic root repair, minimally invasive heart valve surgery, mitral valve repair, thoracic aortic surgery, and repeat and complex cardiac operations.
Prof Wendler qualified, trained and gained substantial experience in Germany before his appointment as Consultant Cardiothoracic Surgeon at King’s in 2004. He was Clinical Director for Cardiology and Cardiothoracic Surgery between 2006 and 2012 and promoted Chair of Cardiac Surgery at King's College London in 2012.
His special interest is implementing innovative techniques and minimally-invasive surgical approaches to improve surgical outcomes for elderly patients. He has implemented modern techniques in the UK and at King’s College Hospital to preserve natural heart valves, in particular the aortic and mitral valve, and new approaches to improve long-term results after coronary artery bypass grafting.
- European Association for Cardiothoracic Surgery
- German Society for Cardiology
- German Society for Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery (Board Member 2003 - 2004)
- Member of the Faculty University of the Saarland, Germany
- Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Britain and Ireland
- The Society of Thoracic Surgeons