Emergency and urgent care

Our Emergency Departments remain open for life-threatening conditions as well as coronavirus-related emergencies. However, they are currently very busy so please only come in if it is an emergency and you need immediate medical care.

Please see the below guidance for when to come into hospital:

We also run an Urgent Care Centre at King’s College Hospital. This is run in partnership with Greenbrook Healthcare.

Pregnant women

If you are pregnant it is important that you still attend your antenatal appointments and continue to seek advice from your midwife or maternity team. If you are worried about your health or the health of your unborn baby, please contact your midwife or maternity team.

Parents of young children

If you are worried about the health of your baby or child, please call 111. If it’s a serious or life-threatening emergency, call 999.

Cancer patients

If you have a symptom that you are worried about, you must contact your GP. Your clinician will discuss with you the benefits of starting or continuing your cancer treatment against the increased risks of contracting coronavirus. Please read our web page about cancer services during this time for more information.

Heart attack

If you think you or a family member are suffering with the symptoms of a heart attack you must dial 999 immediately. If you or a family member develop symptoms such as heavy or tight chest pain that may spread to your arms, neck or jaw, or make you breathless, sick, sweaty or light-headed and that doesn’t go away, this could be caused by a heart attack. Dial 999 immediately.


If you think you or a family member are suffering with the symptoms of a stroke you must dial 999 immediately. You can spot the symptoms of a stroke by using the FAST test:

  • Face - is the face drooping / fallen on one side? Can they smile?
  • Arms - can they raise both arms and keep them there?
  • Speech - is it slurred?
  • Time to call 999 if you see any of the above signs

Emergency dental care

During the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, if you need urgent dental help call NHS 111. You will be directed to an urgent dental care hub close to you. The Dental Institute at King's College Hospital is providing a reduced service for a limited range of urgent problems using our clinical triage team. The range of dental problems include conditions such as:

  • severe dental infections
  • facial swellings
  • recent dental injury (trauma).

For further information and contact details, please visit the Acute Dental Care service page.

Mental health

The NHS is here to support your mental health during the coronavirus pandemic, as well as your physical health. If you are concerned about the mental health of your child, please contact your GP or check online self-referral options for under 18 year olds.

If you are facing mental health issues contact your GP or key worker, if you have one, and continue to access your mental health services as usual. The NHS is still open for new referrals, via your GP or online. If you are facing a mental health crisis, use the NHS 111 online service. If you cannot get help online, call 111.

If you are experiencing stress and anxiety, the NHS website has further information, including how to self-refer to psychological therapies.

Other NHS services

To find your local GP services and see their current opening hours, go to Find a GP on the NHS website.

If you need urgent dental care please contact your dental practice. If you cannot reach your dentist or you do not have one, please call 111 or use the NHS 111 online service.

For all other NHS services, please go to the NHS website and use the service search.