Attending our hospitals
If you come to the hospital, you will see we have introduced measures to help people stay safe and keep their distance. You may also be asked to take extra precautions by our staff.
Do not attend our hospitals if you have COVID-19 symptoms. The only exceptions are if you need emergency or urgent care, or if you are in labour.
Attend alone if possible
To reduce the number of people in the hospital, we ask that patients do not bring anyone with them. Exceptions will be made for the following patients, who are permitted one person to assist them:
- frail patients who need assistance
- disabled patients or those with a learning disability
- pregnant women attending scans and women in labour can bring one birth partner
We have separate guidance if you are planning to visit someone in hospital.
Do not arrive too early
Aim to arrive at the department no earlier than 10 minutes before your appointment time. This is to reduce the number of people in our waiting rooms. If you arrive earlier we will ask you to wait outside the hospital building.
Using entrances and exits
To help maintain social distancing, some of our entrances and exits are closed. Follow the one-way system at entry and exit points.
Monday to Friday enter and exit the main hospital building from:
- Hambleden Wing: open 24 hours a day
- Golden Jubilee Wing: open 7am to 7pm
- Ruskin Wing: open 6.30am to 9pm
- the Emergency Department entrance is also open as normal for emergency patients only. There is no through route to the hospital.
The Variety Children’s Hospital entrance and exit is closed.
- the Emergency Department entrance is open as normal for emergency patients only. There is no through route to the hospital.
- all other patients and visitors can enter and enter through the Hambleden Wing and Golden Jubilee Wing.
All other entrances and exits are closed.
Stay safe, keep apart
While in our hospital buildings, you will need to:
- wear a face covering
- wash or sanitise your hands regularly (hand-washing stations and sanitisers are available throughout the hospital)
- stay 2 metres apart from other people where possible
- follow the signs which will tell you where to walk, wait and queue safely
- walk on the left in main corridors
- use the stairs rather than the lifts if possible
Our cafes and shops
To help with social distancing, our cafes and food retail outlets only permit a limited number of people to enter. The number of seats available has also been reduced.