Ward and building dedications

Todd ward

The original building in 1913 contained just 300 beds, but over the years many more buildings have been added to the hospital to allow the development of additional services and to increase the number of wards and patient beds.

One of the best ways of reliving the King's story is to delve into the history of the wards and buildings, and the people who gave their names in dedication. Some of the wards no longer exist or have been relocated or merged but most remain to this day.

Annie Zunz Ward

The ward is named after Annie Zunz, the widow of a German merchant who lived in London. In 1912, we received £10,000 from the trustees of the Annie Zunz Bequest on condition a ward was named after her. There are other wards and departments named after her in hospitals around the country following similar bequests.

Brunel Ward

Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel's most notable achievements include the creation of the Great Western Railway line, a series of famous steamships, and a pedestrian tunnel under the Thames, which now forms part of the East London line to New Cross and New Cross Gate.

Byron Ward

The Romantic poet Lord Byron was educated at a school in Dulwich. The most widely read English language poet of his day, his best-known works are the narrative poems 'Childe Harold's Pilgrimage' and 'Don Juan'.

Cheere Ward

Robert Cheere was a member of the first Committee of Management at King's, and the hospital’s Vice President (1858) and Treasurer (1873-74). After his death in 1876, his friends made a generous donation which enabled the hospital to open a convalescent home in Hemel Hampstead.

Cheyne Wing

William Watson Cheyne joined King's in 1877 as a House Surgeon to Lord Lister. He was elected Assistant Surgeon in 1880 and Professor of the Principles and Practice of Surgery in 1891.

Christine Brown Ward

Christine Brown OBE was the Chief Nursing Officer at King’s from 1970 to 1982 and President of its Nurses' League from 1970 to 1990. She is renowned for masterminding the changes required to adapt nursing management following the first reorganisation of the NHS in 1974.

Cotton Ward

Leonard Cotton was a Consultant Vascular Surgeon who worked at King's from 1957 to 1987, becoming Dean of King's College School of Medicine and Dentistry in 1984.

David Marsden Ward

David Marsden FRS was the first Professor of Neurology at King's and a Consultant Neurologist here between 1972 and 1987. He was an outstanding scientist who did pioneering work in the understanding of Parkinson's disease and other movement disorders.

Davidson Ward

William Davidson was King's first Professor of Haematology, back in 1946.

Dawson Ward

Consultant Surgeon John Dawson had a particular interest in the causes of kidney failure after surgery and helped to establish the reputation of King's Liver Unit. He was Clinical Dean in the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry from 1992 to 1998, President of the Surgical Section of the Royal Society of Medicine and Surgeon Sergeant to the Queen between 1975 and 1991.

Derek Mitchell Unit

Derek Mitchell was the husband of Isobel Mitchell, who was treated at King's for chronic myeloid leukaemia. Derek set up a charity called the Elimination of Leukaemia Fund (ELF). After their deaths in the late 1980s, ELF donated money to the hospital to set up the specialist unit in his honour.

Fisk Ward

Reverend JH Fisk was vice-president of King’s in 1840 and gave £1,000 towards the hospital’s foundation.

Frank Cooksey Rehabilitation Unit

Dr Frank Cooksey OBE pioneered rehabilitation during WWII. He was appointed Director of the Physical Medicine Department in 1947.

Guthrie Wing

Originally known as the Stock Exchange Wing, it was renamed to commemorate the successful flight of Giles Guthrie in the 1936 Portsmouth-Johannesburg air race.

Hambleden Wing

Lord Hambleden, a member of the WH Smith family, made King's move from Holborn to our present site possible. He bought 12 acres of land in Denmark Hill and presented it to the hospital in 1903.

Katherine Monk Ward

Katherine Monk was our first Sister Matron in 1884. She founded King's College Hospital Nursing School in 1885, three years before Florence Nightingale set up the training school at St Thomas' Hospital.

Kinnier Wilson Ward

Dr Samuel Alexander Kinnier Wilson (1878-1937) was King's first Professor of Neurology.

Leighton Ward

Lord Frederick Leighton was an English classical painter and sculptor. He was bearer of the shortest-lived peerage in history; after only one day his hereditary peerage ended with his death. This ward no longer exists at King's.

Lister Ward

Lord Joseph Lister was Professor of Clinical Surgery at King's from 1877 to 1893. An inspirational surgeon, he pioneered the idea of sterile surgery to reduce infections, making operations safer for patients, and perfected his work at the hospital.

Lonsdale Ward

Reverend John Lonsdale helped to found King's and was Principal from 1839 to 1843.

Marjory Warren Ward

Marjory Warren was a 20th century surgeon who pioneered specialist healthcare for elderly patients. She opened the first healthcare for the elderly ward at St Francis Hospital. Continuing the work she started, the Marjory Warren Ward is home to our state-of-the-art sensory room for patients with dementia.

Mary Ray Ward

Mary Elizabeth Ray (1864-1933) was the first Sister Matron on our site at Denmark Hill in 1906. She was Patron of the Nurses' League from its foundation in 1924.

Matthew Whiting Ward

Matthew Whiting was a 19th century merchant who guaranteed the hospital's overdraft and left a bequest to King’s in his will.

Murray Falconer Ward

Murray Falconer, FRCS, was a distinguished neurosurgeon who set up the neurosurgical unit at the Maudsley Hospital in 1949. He is remembered for his pioneering work in treating drug-resistant epilepsy surgically.

Nightingale Birth Centre

This is named after the Nightingale Trustee Fund, which funded the first ward at King's to train midwives in 1861.

Normanby Building

The Marquis of Normanby was the Chairman of the first Board of Governors in 1948.

Oliver Ward

Percy Lane Oliver OBE (1878-1944) was a local volunteer for the Red Cross who established the first voluntary blood transfusion service, a forerunner of the National Blood Service.

Philip Isaacs Ward

Philip Isaacs is a member of the Variety Club and advocate and ambassador for the Variety Children's Hospital since it was first set up.

Princess Elizabeth Ward

This was originally one of two children's wards, named Wigram Department after Edward Wigram, Treasurer of the Hospital. In the late 1920s, the Duchess of York (later the Queen Mother) visited the department and named a cot there for her new-born daughter, Princess Elizabeth (now Queen Elizabeth II). The whole ward later changed its name to Princess Elizabeth.

RD Lawrence Ward

Robert Daniel Lawrence was a doctor who trained at King's in the 1920s. He led research into diabetes after he developed the condition following a serious infection he caught while working in the post mortem department at the hospital. He helped found the Diabetic Department in 1932.

Ruskin Wing

John Ruskin was an artist, writer and social campaigner who lived in the area from 1823 to 1871. After his death the grounds of Ruskin Manor became Ruskin Park, which has maintained close links with the hospital. Ruskin Park is also used as a landing site for the London Air Ambulance.

Sam Oram Ward

Sam Oram was a cardiologist at King's and a member of the first Medical School Council in 1948.

Sambrooke Ward

Thomas G Sambrooke was vice chairman of the hospital's Committee of Management. He endowed the medical and surgical registrarship in 1871, and on his death left £10,000 to fund scholarships and exhibitions. This ward no longer exists at King's.

Todd Ward

Robert Bentley Todd was a doctor at the hospital from 1840 to 1859, and one of its chief founders. He is also known for his reorganisation of the medical school. His statue, which once stood in the entrance hall of the old hospital in Portugal Street, Lincoln's Inn, can now be found outside the Hambleden Wing on the Denmark Hill site.

Trundle Ward

George Trundle donated stocks worth £10,000 to King's in 1918.

Twining Ward

This commemorates 19th century tea merchant Richard Twining, who was a member of King’s first Committee of Management.

Victoria and Albert Ward

This name was given sometime before 1850 by permission of Queen Victoria and the Prince Consort. At that time they were two wards, Victoria (the men's ward) and Albert (the women's ward). Originally they were provided for the use of Lord Lister and he made the condition that no other member of staff be allowed to use them. It became a single ward in 1913 in the new hospital.

Waddington Ward

Anne Waddington gave £15,000 towards the cost of opening a second ophthalmic ward at King's, in honour of Sir George Johnson, the surgeon who treated her.

William Gilliatt Ward

Surgeon Sir William Gilliatt founded King's Department of Gynaecology and Obstetrics. He was a member of the Committee of Management and Vice-President of the hospital in 1945. He was also obstetrician and gynaecologist to the Royal Family.


We would like to thank the following for providing some of the information for this page

Information on this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.